Thoughts of the week
“Planning is everything but plans mean nothing”
When reading this sentence for the first time it may not make much sense. In short it is saying that it is important to have a plan but that could quickly change, or have to change, so don’t rely on it too much and have a back up!
Some people are brilliant at being able to retain large amounts of amazing information in their head and always be able to access what they need on the spot. Others however struggle to do this and have to use a different approach.
Mind mapping is a brilliant way to put all your thoughts down in one place and link them together. This can be applied to many different scenarios and is very time effective.
Once you can see all of the initial options you have it is easier to weigh up the pro’s on con’s fairly intuitively, usually you first instinct is the right one!
When working with our clients and athletes, we always start in the same place. The systems and processes used to work out the best solutions to problems, or paths to achieving particular goals, follow similar methods even though the scenario or outcomes are very different.
One size does not fit all when it comes to individualising or tailoring a specific service, product, program, overview or template. However approaching each task, challenge or problem with the same planning framework offers more consistency and clearer overview of the bigger picture and all options available. Also working backwards from the end to the start may allow to see things from a different perspective…
Exercise of the week
Development | Strength | Hip hinge | Level 1 | Stage A to E | Progressions
- Hip hinge | Stiff leg deadlift | Hand slide above knee (A)
- Hip hinge | Stiff leg deadlift | Hand slide below knee (B)
- Hip hinge | Stick stiff leg deadlift | Single leg (C)
- Hip hinge | Deadlift | Olympic technique (D)
- Hip hinge | Stiff leg deadlift | Plate (E1)
- Hip hinge | Stiff leg deadlift | Single leg | Plate (E2)
- Hip hinge | Stiff Leg Deadlift | Dumbbells (E3)
- Hip hinge | Stiff leg deadlift | Single leg | Dumbbells (E4)
- Hip hinge | Deadlift | Olympic technique | Dumbbells (E5)
Find out more about this program here
Recipe of the week
Chickpea, kale, carrot. yellow pepper, apple, avocado & quinoa salad topped with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon & black pepper dressing
- Toss chickpeas lightly in coconut or olive oil, adding seasoning of choice (we used turmeric, cumin & chilli) then bake in oven for 25mins
- Rinse quinoa in cold water then add to pan of boiling water for 10mins
- Massage kale in large bowl until leaves soften, adding shaved carrot, chopped apple & sliced yellow pepper
- Stir together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice & black pepper for dressing
- Put all ingredients together & toss in a bowl
Find out more about our nutrition plans here