Thoughts of the week
In any business or sport, a form of organisational structure exists. Controlled decisions through communication offer a hierarchical method for organising information flow, decision making, power, and authority.
A CEO, president or head coach are usually at the top. Every level below than has a subordinate to which it answers to those from above or is reported to from those below. Command and control are intrinsic in the chain. The further up a person is the more power, authority, responsibility and accountability they have.
Relationships, delegation and authority are clear, there is clarity about who to approach for resources, assistance and feedback. Simplicity creates security and there has to be space for flexibility to allow faster decisions to be made. Quick, accurate and positive outcomes are the ultimate goal for all involved. Money for business, winning for sport!
Technology can alter the hierarchy in some instances as information is usually available all the time which can sometimes cause decentralised decision making. Without this a chain of command things would become very complicated, confusing, disorganised, inefficient, internally competitive, frustrating and stressful.
Think about the biggest companies and best sports teams in the world, it is not an accident they are successful. Always try to improve critical thinking, continue to build strong relationships and respect what the person above says!
Next time you are faced with such challenges, step back and access the chain of command to see which links need attention or revise the whole structure completely…
Recipe of the week
Watermelon, cucumber, celery & feta salad
- Section & cube a moderate sized watermelon.
- Slice & dice a large cucumber.
- Roughly chop up 4 sticks of celery.
- Make sure the watermelon, cumber & celery are bite size then place all into large salad bowl.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, a large teaspoon of organic honey, some fresh lemon juice & a small pinch of salt.
- Cover all ingredients in bowl with dressing.
- Finally, roughly break up some organic feta cheese & sprinkle on top.
- Serve as in picture, adding some ripped mint leaves according to preference for garnish.
Find out more about our nutrition plans here